The Olympic Basin is one of the few training and competition sites for the sports of rowing, canoe-kayaking and dragon boats. The Basin is located at Parc Jean-Drapeau, close to Montréal's downtown area.
The Olympic Basin was built on the Parc's Île Notre-Dame in 1975, at the time of the Olympic Games. The Basin's construction required the first major makeover of Île Notre-Dame. A part of the island was completely redeveloped so that buildings and related equipment and facilities could be built; these included athletes' quarters, administration pavilion, grandstands, hangars, starting tower, finish tower and control stations all along the Basin.
In addition to the Olympic Games, the Basin has played host to many world championships. Every year, about a dozen provincial, national and international-level competitions are held there, in such disciplines as rowing, canoe-kayaking, dragon boats, triathlon and open-water swimming.
The Olympic Basin extends over 2.2 kilometres in length; it is 110 metres wide and 2.5 metres deep. The Basin's unique installations and it's calm waters make it the pride of every rowing enthusiast.
- Grandstands that can accommodate 10,000 people
- Albano system (lanes with buoys)
- 5 towers (start, finish and 3 intermediate)
- Communication system
- Sound system
- locker rooms
The Athletes' Quarters was built for the 1976 Summer Olympics to house the facilities required for organizing the events at the Olympic Basin. Currently, the Athletes' Quarters unique installations allow the various elite clubs to train during the winter months.
- Weight room with top-of-the-line equipment (capacity of 30 people)
- Rowing tank (capacity of 8 people)
- Canoe-kayak and dragon boat rowing tank (capacity of 12 people)
- Workout room adapted to ergometric training
- Locker rooms and showers
Weight room rules in the Athletes' Quarters
- Maximum capacity of 30 people.
- The renter is responsible for the cleanliness of the room.
- The renter is responsible for the proper use of the material and will have to reimburse the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau for costs related to any damages resulting from misuse.
- Taking sports equipment outside the room is prohibited.
- The corridor may not be used for doing exercises.
Sports organizations can rent the Olympic Basin and the Athletes' Quarters installations. For any additional information, please contact us by calling 514 872-2323 or by email.
Rental terms of the sports areas
Montréal Rowing Club (MRC)
Association québécoise d'aviron (AQA)
Association québécoise de canoë-kayak de vitesse (AQCKV)
McGill University Rowing Club
Use the hashtag to get all the latest news and share with us on social media!