- Access to the water is reserved for members of the Olympic Basin partners.
- Access to the Olympic Basin is only permitted during the hours of operation stipulated by the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau.
- Thirty (30) minutes after sunset, all boats must have an indicator light as stipulated by Transport Canada.
- When the water temperature is below 8 degrees Celsius (46 degrees Fahrenheit) only supervised elite and competitive training groups are allowed to train on the water.
- Users must always announce their presence to SPJD staff before going into the water area.
- While they are on the water, members must be accompanied by a teammate or coach at all times.
- Every member must have a personal flotation device (PFD) approved by the Canadian government and use it based on the Transport Canada Safe Boating Guide, as well as the related provincial and national federations (with the exception of those regarding kayaks and speed canoes).
- Motor-boat operators must be at least 16 years of age and have an up-to-date water-craft operating card.
- Users must always conduct themselves in a safe manner on the Basin's deck and in the boats.
- Users must obey the signs and the spaces assigned to them on the site and on the water.
- Any incident leading to material or physical damage must immediately be reported to SPJD staff, which will take charge of applying the appropriate measures.
- When there is a breakage of equipment or material belonging to the SPJD, members are responsible for reporting it to the staff on duty.
- The Olympic Basin is reserved solely for the use of rowboats, dragon boats, canoe-kayaks, Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP), surfskis and outriggers.
- Swimming in the Olympic Basin is prohibited unless permission is granted by the SPJD.
- Only vehicles authorized by the SPJD are allowed on the Olympic Basin deck.
- Only motor boats authorized by the SPJD are allowed on the Olympic Basin.
- Pets must be kept on a leash at all times on the site.
- Throwing stones or any other projectile into the water is prohibited.
- Prior authorization from the SPJD must be obtained to use barbecues on the site.
- Propane tanks must be kept outside the facilities in the enclosures designated for this purpose.
- Prior authorization from the SPJD must be obtained for any selling of derivative products or food on the deck of the Olympic Basin or inside the Athletes' Quarters.
7 lanes configuration
10 lanes configuration
Always respect the instructions notified by the flags at the beginning of the central deck.
Basin open over 2000 m
Weather conditions are good and the Olympic Basin is open.
Basin open over 1000 m
Environment Canada announces thunderstorms and/or a weather warning. Olympic Basin's users cannot go beyond the 1000 meter mark.
This safety measure is required to allow a safe and quick evacuation in case the storm hits. Users must be very alert.
Weather conditions prohibit access to the Olympic Basin either because of extremely strong winds, claps of thunder, storms and/or lightning. No user is allowed to be out on the waterway.
Users who are already on the water must evacuate the waterway immediately. The Olympic Basin remains closed until SPJD staff allows access.
In the event of claps of thunder, the Olympic Basin must be evacuated. The reopening of the Basin will be allowed only after a 30-minute waiting period following a clap of thunder.
PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
- Choose an adjustable and properly sized model.
- Favour bright colors.
- Wear it at all times.
- Prefer a vest with pockets.
- Pay attention to weather before and during your activity.
- Get off the water before the thunderstorm arrives.
- Stay covered during the thunderstorm.
- Do not forget to put sunscreen.
- Wear appropriate apparels: light pants, long sleeve, hat or cap.
- Bring a neck strap for your sunglasses.
- Fasten and adjust your PFD.
- Stay hydrated and bring a snack.
PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
- Hypothermia and cold shock can be deadly.
- Always dress in accordance with the water temperature. You can easily cool off if you are too hot!
Getting to Olympic Basin
Nearby parking area: