July 7, 8, 14 and 15, 2018
Celebrating modern-day Montréal
The Week-ends du monde (WEM) festival, a large family and people-gathering event celebrating modern-day Montréal with its many components, is held every year at Parc Jean-Drapeau. WEM visitors will be taking part in the festivities and will again be able to see Montréal's outstanding cultural diversity.
This event is a unique opportunity for various groups, organizations and artisans to perform and display their talents in front of the public in a friendly setting. It's also a unique showcase for the many cultural projects with which contemporary Montréal abounds.
This document describes the general terms and conditions for eligibility to the WEM program, which provides structural support to promoter organizations and their activities in order to maintain, support and develop the events staged by the cultural communities of Greater Montréal.
WEM offers Montrealers of all origins an attractive showcase that allows them to celebrate and share with the entire population their culture and traditions through music, dance or culinary discoveries. WEM also strives to blend the city's cultural diversity into one same event.
Objectives of the program
- Provide the population with accessibility to cultural events in the Greater Montréal area;
- Support the production of festivals and events that promote and give exposure to the diversity of cultural expression;
- Promote a closer intercultural relationship and dialogue aimed at combating exclusion, discrimination and racism;
- Participate in the cultural development of the arts, popular traditions and the future generation.
The size of the 2017 and 2018 Week-ends du monde temporary site located on Île Notre-Dame is smaller than the site of previous editions. Therefore, the temporary site's capacity is lower than in previous years, which limits the number of communities, artists and concessions it can host.
Type of support provided in goods and services
The financial contribution provided represents an average of $20,000 per day in goods and services per organization that is supported. Additional costs that exceed this amount must be assumed by the organization.
- General support structure of your activities on the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau site.
- A stage with control room, a sound system and basic lighting.
- Washroom facilities.
- Basic water and electricity supply, as well as the required hook-ups.
- Basic security of the site and surveillance staff.
- Certified first-aid service.
- A minimum number of stage technicians (IATSÉ).
- A site maintenance service and recovery of recyclable materials.
- A Week-ends du monde communications plan that oversees each of the days' activities and distribution of the programming to targeted public.
- Significant public relations and promotional support.
- Supervision of all of the activities by Société du parc Jean-Drapeau staff.
To be eligible for this program, the organization must:
- Be a not-for-profit organization.
- Be in good standing with the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau or with its collaborators.
- Hold the event on one of the days set out in the Week-ends du monde schedule, established by the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau.
- Have a head office on City of Montréal territory.
- Conduct activities in the area of culture, social or community development, recreation or ethno-cultural diversity.
- Produce a free event based on the capacity of the sites provided at Parc Jean-Drapeau.
- Submit a complete request in compliance with the program's objectives.
The following are ineligible:
- Events that are basically of a religious, political or commercial nature, or which promote violence.
- Events whose main purpose are to fund-raise or conduct contests.
- Events that involve a mandatory pricing scale for the public, except for the selling of derivative products and food concessions.
Evaluation of the requests is done based on the following criteria:
- The innovative, structural and original nature of realizing the event.
- The ability to do the project from an artistic, technical and financial standpoint, and to ensure its visibility and promotion.
- The clarity and innovation of the artistic selections;
- The coherence between the artistic and technical selections and the financial means to achieve it.
- The quality of the planning from a human resources, financial and material standpoint.
- The relevance of the project team's experience in relation to the nature of the project being done.
- The availability of resources, competencies and financial means to ensure the visibility and promotion of the event.
- The contribution it makes to the exposure and attraction of Parc Jean-Drapeau.
- The frequenting of Parc Jean-Drapeau by metropolitan area clientele and tourists.
- The impact on Parc Jean-Drapeau's visibility on a local, national and international scale.
Requests will be analyzed by the Société du parc Jean-Drapeau programming team and the events that are selected will be submitted to the proper authorities for approval. Expect about a one-month waiting period between the deadline date for submitting requests and the announcement of which organizations have been selected.
Deadline date for submitting requests: November 30, 2017
Please note that any incomplete request will be rejected.
* The fields marked with an asterisk must be completed.